Home > FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Select one of the categories below for help topics.

General FAQ

DISCLAIMER:  The Arizona Corporation Commission makes this material available on the internet as a public service. Any material provided in this website is provided solely for informational purposes. None of this website's content - including but not limited to the FAQs and any documents - comprise the official record of any of the dockets or of the Commission and no express or implied warranties are provided here. While the Arizona Corporation Commission makes best efforts to ensure that the content of this site is accurate and current, it makes no claims, guarantees or promises about the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information and is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for results obtained from any search used from this website.

Furthermore, copies or printed versions of any of the documents contained on this website are not represented to be official documents. If any discrepancy should exist between a version of a document on the website and the official version, the official version shall govern. Official documents can be obtained by directly contacting the Arizona Corporation Commission's Docket Control office.

eDocket is an electronic docket information management system accessible via the web.

  • Search/view Docket (case) information
  • Search/view/print Documents
  • Search/view Event Details
  • View ACC scheduled calendar events by date or Docket
  • Generate ACC Reports on a variety of matters, including daily filings, New Applications and Decisions
  • Subscribe to ACC RSS feeds
  • View ACC (FAQ) Frequently Asked Questions
The eDocket web site was designed to work with Windows Internet Explorer 10. IE 10 or higher will provide the best user experience on the website, however other browsers may also be used. Adobe Acrobat version X is the recommended version to print PDF documents and reports.
A docket number has six (6) elements. The five-digit field at the end of the docket number is used for line siting dockets ONLY. Refer to the following example:
T 01234 A 02 0021 XXXXX
1 2 3 4 5 6
1. Prefix
The "T" designates the type of Utility involved in the case, in this example Telecommunications.
2. Company Number
The "01234" designates the company number unique to a specific company.
3. Division
The "A" designates the specific division.
4. Year
The "02" designates the year the case was filed/opened. For example, this case was filed/opened in 2002.
5. Matter
The "0021" designates the unique identifying matter number assigned to this docket when the docket was opened.
6. Line Siting Case Number
The extra 5-digit field is used for line siting "L" dockets ONLY.
The primary search options in eDocket are:
  • Docket Search
  • Document
  • Event Detail Search

Within each search type, you will be able to expand or limit results based on the information you require and the criteria entered. Search page results are restricted to return only 500 records.

We continue to expand the historical information available on eDocket. Documents not available on eDocket are on microfilm in the Docket Control office and can be viewed during regular operating hours. Items on microfilm may be printed at a cost of 10 cents per page.
Yes. Please use the Search Box in the upper right to type in the Decision Number. Many Decisions after 1997 are available in eDocket, and we continue to work on entering older Decisions as time allows.
No, not at this time. However, this is a planned future enhancement that should be available within the near future.
Yes. The Calendar features past and upcoming events, with a link to individual Dockets. An Event Detail Search is also available. Hearings and other due dates for individual Dockets may be viewed from the Case Schedule tab of that Docket.

Docket Control scans all filings received during normal business hours within 2 hours of receipts. An image of the document will then be viewable. In most cases they will be available sooner. Transcripts are not viewable. Please refer to the section on Transcripts for additional information.

Images are entered and scanned into eDocket as received by Docket staff. The documents can be viewed in the Documents tab for each Docket. Links to view an Image and PDF of the filing are both available. Items are available after being approved by viewing the Image. This image will also shortly be converted to a PDF. On occasion, a PDF will not immediately be viewable due to conversion delays or problems. This usually doesn’t take long to correct, so you may want to check back for the PDF later. Adobe Acrobat version X is the recommended version to print PDF documents and reports.

The ACC does not currently accept filings by electronic transmission, however we understand this is a feature many customers desire, and are diligently striving toward offering the option as a future enhancement.

Docket Control is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except on official state holidays. Docket Control is located at 1200 West Washington Street, Room 108, Phoenix, Arizona 85007. Items may be filed in person at Docket Control during the above hours of operation. Items may also be sent to the above address through the US postal service or other delivery service. For those who are more conveniently located to our Tucson Office, filings will also be accepted at this location and forwarded to our Phoenix location.

The type of case and size of company will determine the number of copies that need to be filed with Docket Control. Docket Control will only keep the original copy of your filing. The additional copies are distributed to the Commissioners and the Divisions of the ACC. Some items to remember about your filing:

  • All copies must be properly collated.
  • The correct docket number must be on the first page of the original and all copies of the filing in an easily seen location.
  • On occasion, a docket will have more than one docket number and all listed need to be included, even if the filing references only one docket.
  • All documents must be filed using 8-1/2” x 11” paper. Items filed on larger paper will not be accepted.
  • Items are entered and scanned into eDocket and will then be viewable online. Filers are asked to keep this in mind when submitting any information that might be considered confidential. Docket staff is not responsible for redacting a filing.
  • As mentioned above, Docket is unable to accept electronic filings at this time. Documents must be submitted as mentioned above in order for them to be verified, accepted and officially docketed with the Commission.

We attempt to limit the number of copies required to file documents and consistently strive to reduce the number of required copies whenever possible. Please refer to the Arizona Corporation Commission Web Site for most recent filing requirements, or contact our Docket Control staff at 602-542-3477.

Documents accessed and available on eDocket can be printed via the Internet on your own equipment. If the documents are not available in eDocket or you are unable to print them, you may:

  • Visit Docket Control to make copies of the documents yourself (cost is 10 cents per page).
  • Request that Docket Control make copies for you by calling (602) 542-3477 (cost is 50 cents per page plus postage).
  • Fax at $1.00 per page (up to twenty).

NOTE: Please find and read the "Disclaimer" on page one of this document.

For information on how to request complete and certified copies of documents, please contact Docket Control at (602) 542-3477 during normal business hours

Or, submit a written request for a certified document to:

Arizona Corporation Commission

Docket Control

1200 W. Washington St.

Phoenix, AZ 85007

Certified Document Fees

  1. Certification Fee - $5.00
  2. Plus, the additional cost for Copies - 50 cents per page


  1. Docket Control accepts cash or check. All checks should be made payable to the Arizona Corporation Commission.
  2. We do not accept credit cards.

No. You may view a transcript once filed at Docket Control or at our Tucson office if prior arrangements are made. You may print up to 20 pages maximum of a hearing transcript. If you need more than 20 pages of a transcript or the entire document, please contact Coash and Coash at (602) 258-1440.

Document FAQ

Very simply, an application is the document that opens a specific case. It could be an application to change rates, to introduce a new service, to change the conditions of service or deal with any other issues that would fall under the Commission's authority.

Utility tariffs are documents that outline the terms and conditions - and frequently the prices - for services from a particular utility. The Arizona Corporation Commission has a tariff library in its Utilities Division where people can research approved tariffs.

This is an abbreviation for Certificate of Convenience and Necessity. It is the permit that allows a utility to serve a specific geographic area. Before a company can provide a regulated utility service such as water, electric, natural gas, telephone or sewer service, it must first obtain a CC&N that outlines the territory and terms under which the territory was granted.

As above, if a utility wants to expand its territory, it would file for an extension of its geographic boundaries to be able to serve the new area.

These documents would lay out the specific terms and conditions under which one utility would connect its infrastructure to another utility. These are most common in the telecommunications arena where one provider is interconnecting and using the "hardware and software" of another company.

Before a regulated utility can put all or part of its infrastructure up as collateral against a loan, it must receive Commission approval. Financing applications are reviewed in detail to make sure ratepayers will somehow benefit from whatever changes or improvements come from the financing.

If a person or company still isn’t satisfied after trying to resolve an issue directly with the company or through our Utilities Division, the person/company has the right to file a formal complaint. At the formal complaint level, the actions are similar to a court case. If you were filing a complaint, you would file a detailed, written description of the dispute, explain what you have done to address the issues so far, the specific Commission rules or administrative codes you believe were violated and the specific resolution you are seeking.

You and the utility will testify in front of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). You should understand that the party filing the complaint bears the legal burden of proving its case. The ALJ will then prepare a recommendation for the Commissioners to review and provide copies to both you and the utility. The Commissioners will make a final decision on your case during a public Open Meeting. For more information please go to Consumer Services Utilities Complaints.

The Commission can also file a complaint against a company for failing to abide by Arizona laws or regulations.

Orders to Show Cause are filed by the Commission staff when it believes a utility has committed willful or serious violations of Arizona laws or regulations. This is the most serious form of complaint that can be filed against a utility. Orders to Show Cause require the utility to prove why it has acted or failed to act - in other words, to show cause as to why the utility should not be sanctioned for violating regulations.

You may file a motion to intervene and become a party to a case. Becoming a party confers certain rights and responsibilities, including offering testimony, cross examining witnesses and participating in all aspects of a case. For more information about intervention please go to http://www.azcc.gov/divisions/hearings/documents/intervention-final.pdf

Testimony is oral or written evidence presented under oath to answer questions about the basis for your legal argument or position in a particular case. Most of what you will find labeled as "testimony" in eDocket is actual written testimony. Transcripts also include oral testimony and cross examination that takes place during a hearing or oral argument session. Parties and interveners can file testimony.

This is a document that outlines a party’s disagreement with a recommendation from an administrative law ALJ or the Commission staff. Once an administrative law ALJ has held a hearing on a case or once the staff or ALJ issues a recommendation to the Commissioners, any official party may file an exception.

Certain types of applications require the Utility to publish notice of the application in newspapers within the affected area. An affidavit of public notice or an affidavit of publication is proof that the proper notification took place.

A motion is a formal request to the ALJ to change or rule on some aspect of a case. When the applicant, staff or interveners want the ALJ to order something to happen – whether it is a change in deadlines or hearing dates or something more complex – the group would ask for this change by filing a motion.

Comments can include statements, letters, petitions or other forms of communication about the case that are filed by non-interveners. Generally, what you will find labeled as "comments" are questions, concerns or statements filed by individuals who could be affected by the outcome of the case.

A reference guide is available on the eDocket home page which can be downloaded for your convenience. It will explain how to navigate eDocket. In addition, Docket Control is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., exclusive of state holidays, at 602-542-3477 or you may contact them by email at the bottom of the page by using the Feedback link and Docket staff will respond to you by email as soon as feasible during normal hours of operation.

Rate Case - Typical Flow

Rate cases have many points at which the Commission staff or outside parties, called interveners, get to have a say in how the case proceeds. To help you understand the timeline and progress of a typical rate case, we have prepared the following summary.

The Commission has 30 days to determine if the filing meets the requirements and can be deemed “sufficient,” that is, it meets all of the statutory and rule requirements for filing a rate case. If it is deficient, it is sent back to the utility with an explanation of why it was found deficient. The Company will usually attempt to provide additional required information but until the case is deemed “sufficient” it will not progress forward.

The Administrative Law Judge will issue a Procedural Order setting forth the date for and the language to be used to notify customers of the filing. It will also set forth the deadline for filing an application to intervene, dates for the parties to file direct testimony and dates for the applicant’s rebuttal testimony, surrebuttal and rejoinder testimony. Additionally, a hearing date and public comment dates may be set. This information is available on eDocket.

This is the time period during which the parties review the application and exchange or subpoena information during the course of the case.

The Commission will hold public comment sessions in the affected communities on an as needed basis. This is usually determined by the amount of public interest in the matter. Public comment sessions are one way that ratepayers can have a voice in the process. Although there are many ways for the public to participate, including submitting comments through our website, these meetings are generally the most local and accessible way for the affected populations to be heard. A court reporter documents the entire proceeding and comments become part of the official record that the Commissioners review before making a decision.

Applicants will file testimony supporting their application so that it can be reviewed prior to a hearing.

The deadline for the filing of staff and intervener testimony is typically the same date.

The applicant may submit testimony in response to staff and intervener testimony.

Staff and interveners may submit testimony, called surrebuttal testimony, in response to the applicant’s rebuttal testimony. Rejoinder testimony may be filed by the applicant in response to the staff and intervener testimony.

If a settlement – an agreement among the parties – can be reached, it is usually drafted and submitted to the Commission prior to the hearing. The hearing will still go forward and the focus will be on examining whether the terms of the settlement are sound and in the public interest. Sometimes, in hotly contested cases, a settlement is reached after the evidentiary hearing. In such a case, a secondary hearing on the merits of the settlement would still occur. Any settlement agreement will need to be based on the principles of fair value rate base findings.

An Administrative Law Judge presides over a hearing to examine the evidence in the case. The staff, applicant and interveners are given an opportunity to question and cross-examine witnesses under oath. The Administrative Law Judge will question witnesses as well. Members of the public may attend hearings. The Administrative Law Judge will also allow public comments before the formal hearing begins. Commissioners may be present at hearings as well and ask questions of witnesses.

The Administrative Law Judge will prepare recommendations to the Commissioners based on the weight of the evidence, testimony and any agreements that may have been reached. The resulting document is called a Recommended Opinion and Order. These recommendations can also include new and different terms under which a case should be accepted or denied. The memo attached to the Recommended Order generally also sets the date on which the Commissioners will hear the matter in an Open Meeting.

The parties may file exceptions to the Recommended Opinion and Order expressing their changes to the document. The Administrative Law Judge will allow enough time between the release of his or her recommendations and the Open Meeting to allow for exceptions to be filed.

The Commissioners will take the matter under consideration in an Open Meeting. Again, anyone who wishes to speak out on the matter will fill out a ‘speaker slip’ indicating his or her desire to speak. Members of the public will be given the opportunity to speak prior to the vote. Commissioners often call the parties to the podium to answer questions about the case. Amendments may be offered by the Commissioners or the parties. Votes are taken on each amendment and then a vote is taken on the final document. The Commissioners have a host of options at their disposal – they may accept, amend or deny the Administrative Law Judge’s recommendations but they can also send the matter back for further examination.

Parties may appeal Commission decisions but they must first file a Request for Reconsideration. The Commissioners are not obligated to reconsider their vote, rather they have the option to bring the matter back to a subsequent Open Meeting. If the Commissioners do not reconsider their votes, after a period of time as determined by statute, the party opposing the Commission’s decision may file an appeal in the appropriate court.

Information on how to use eDocket and Frequently Asked Questions about Documents are available on the eDocket Home Page. The Commission Web Page at http://azcc.gov/ also contains a lot of useful information. Or you may contact Docket Control at 602-542-3477 during normal business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday, exclusive of state holidays)