Welcome to eDocket Back

Frequently Asked Questions about documents you will find on eDocket

What is an application?

Very simply, an application is the document that opens a specific case.  It could be an application to change rates, to introduce a new service, to change the conditions of service or deal with any other issues that would fall under the Commission's authority.

What is a tariff?

Utility tariffs are documents that outline the terms and conditions - and frequently the prices - for services from a particular utility.  The Arizona Corporation Commission has a tariff library in its Utilities Division where people can research approved tariffs.

What is a CC&N?

This is an abbreviation for Certificate of Convenience and Necessity.  It is the permit that allows a utility to serve a specific geographic area.  Before a company can provide a regulated utility service such as water, electric, natural gas, telephone or sewer service, it must first obtain a CC&N that outlines the territory and terms under which the territory was granted.

What is a CC&N Extension?

As above, if a utility wants to expand its territory, it would file for an extension of its geographic boundaries to be able to serve the new area.

What is an interconnection agreement?

These documents would lay out the specific terms and conditions under which one utility would connect its infrastructure to another utility.  These are most common in the telecommunications arena where one provider is interconnecting and using the "hardware and software" of another company.

What is financing?

Before a regulated utility can put all or part of its infrastructure up as collateral against a loan, it must receive Commission approval.  Financing applications are reviewed in detail to make sure ratepayers will somehow benefit from whatever changes or improvements come from the financing.

What is a formal complaint?

If a person or company still isn't satisfied after trying to resolve an issue directly with the company or through our Utilities Division, the person/company has the right to file a formal complaint.  At the formal complaint level, the actions are similar to a court case.  If you were filing a complaint, you would file a detailed, written description of the dispute, explain what you have done to address the issues so far, the specific Commission rules or administrative codes you believe were violated and the specific resolution you are seeking.  You and the utility will testify in front of an administrative law judge.  You should understand that the party filing the complaint bears the legal burden of proving its case.  The judge will then prepare a recommendation for the Commissioners to review and provide copies to both you and the utility.  The Commissioners will make a final decision on your case during a public open meeting.  For information see http://www.azcc.gov/divisions/utilities/Cons/index.asp.

The Commission can also file a complaint against a company for failing to abide by Arizona laws or regulations.

What is an Order to Show Cause?

Orders to Show Cause are filed by the Commission staff when it believes a utility has committed willful or serious violations of Arizona laws or regulations.  This is the most serious form of complaint that can be filed against a utility.  Orders to Show Cause require the utility to prove why it has acted or failed to act - in other words, to show cause as to why the utility should not be sanctioned for violating regulations.

What is a motion to intervene?

You would file a motion to intervene if you intended to become a litigator in a case.  Becoming an intervenor gives you the right to offer testimony, to cross examine witnesses and to participate in all aspects of a case.  Intervenors are also sometimes referred to as "parties."

You can view a sample request for intervention and the guidelines for filing a motion at http://www.azcc.gov/divisions/utilities/forms/interven.pdf.

What is testimony?

Testimony is oral or written evidence presented under oath to answer questions about the basis for your legal argument or position in a particular case.  Most of what you will find labeled as "testimony" in eDocket is actual written testimony.  Transcripts also include oral testimony and cross examination that takes place during a hearing or oral argument session.  Parties and intervenors can file testimony.

What are exceptions?

This is a document that outlines a party's disagreement with a recommendation from an administrative law judge or the Commission staff.  Once an administrative law judge has held a hearing on a case or once the staff or judge issue a recommendation to the Commissioners, any official party may file an exception.

What is an affidavit of public notice or an affidavit of publication?

Certain types of filings require utilities to publish notice of the filing in newspapers within the affected area.  An affidavit of public notice or an affidavit of publication is proof that the proper notification took place.

What is a motion?

A motion is a formal request to the judge to change or rule on some aspect of a case.  When the applicant, staff or intervenors wants the judge to order something to happen - whether it is a change in deadlines or hearing dates or something more complex - the group would ask for this change by filing a motion.

What are comments?

Comments can include statements, letters, petitions or other forms of communication about the case that are filed by non-intervenors.  Generally, what you will find labeled as "comments" are questions, concerns or statements filed by individuals who could be affected by the outcome of the case.